I own a PC that runs Windows 8.1 64 bit OS on a AMD based computer . While I am very happy with this OS, but I am experiencing a few annoying issues.
1. I own a CanoScan LiDE 20 and there are no Windows 8 64 bit drivers.
2. For some reason, some applications I have downloaded in the Downloads folder will not launch and run Setup. I have to manually copy the file to the desktop and double click on this file to install (with Run Administrator priviledges).
3. Scratch 1.4, Arduino and Netbeans applications refuse to be installed on my Windows 8 64bit machine. Grrr
For unsigned installers, this means you need to restart Windows 8 in the mode where it allows you to install unsigned drivers.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide:
1. Press win+c on the keyboard to bring up the charms side bar (or move mouse to right top corner of the screen)
2. Click the Settings button.
3. Click the Change PC Settings at the bottom of the sidebar.
4. On screen that shows up, select the General option from the sidebar then scroll down the page that appears.
5. Click the Restart now button under the Advanced startup section.
6. You will momentarily see the restarting screen, then it will switch to a blue screen titled “Choose an option”
7. Click the Troubleshoot button.
8. Click Advanced options.
9. Click Startup Settings
10. Click Restart
11. You should then see a Startup Settings screen after your computer reboots
12. Press 7 or F7 on your keyboard to Disable driver signature enforcement
13. Now Windows 8 will continue starting up
14. Log-in as normal, and then run the installer again
15. Now you should see about 4 warning dialogs about “unsigned driver installation”, click OK for all of them.
Then you should be good to go!